Flora by Gucci was the second fragrance by Gucci created under the leadership of the house of Gianni from Florence. The first one, Gucci by Gucci, targeted the dynamic and successful Gucci woman, while Flora, which launched in 2009, was marketed more along the lines of a younger female. The kind of girl who has an easy breezy outlook, smiling and laughing a lot. “Life’s a Beach” might be her motto.
Flora is a puzzling name for this fragrance since I detect a lot of citrus in it as well. The top notes include lemon, mandarin and peony, heart notes are Osmanthus and rose, and base notes include sandalwood, patchouli and pink pepper. I get the leathery scent from the Osmanthus but the woodsy, peppery dry down is subdued and I hardly notice the patchouli.
From start to finish, Flora is fresh and light, like a sparkling juice. There is no punch or scandal here, just a very simple fragrance that smells pretty much the same from start to finish. It’s easy to wear and casual, much more a favorite pair of jeans than a sexy night out dress. If you are looking for drama you won’t find it here. It’s easy peasy that smells really appealing.
Flora by Gucci comes in a pretty hexagonal bottle with a cute little bow on top. A 2.5 oz. bottle can be purchased for around $70 at most department stores and is available on Amazon for around $45.
The Flora scarf was exclusively designed by the house of Gucci for Princess Grace of Monaco in 1966 and has become one of the most popular Gucci icons. After the success of Flora, Gucci launched the Flora Garden Collection in 2012, taking five of the most important blossoms from this legendary scarf and creating a bouquet of fragrances in its honor. The collection includes: Gorgeous Gardenia, Gracious Tuberose, Glorious Mandarin, Generous Violet and Glamorous Magnolia.
The idea was that each fragrance should reflect a different facet of the same woman. Says Frida Gianni, “With flora by Gucci, I wanted to express the loveliness of the Flora woman, charming, romantic and optimistic. Now with The Flora Garden Collection I am celebrating the multi-faceted way the Gucci woman expresses her personality.”
- Gorgeous Gardenia – A sparkling prelude of red berries accord and fresh pear leads to a rich floral heart. Intoxicating gardenia mixes with enticing frangipani before being grounded by a captivating base of patchouli and brown sugar.
- Gracious Tuberose – An overture of violet leaves and juicy peach melts into an elegant tuberose. A base of citrus and white cedar wood captures a mood of refined charm.
- Glorious Mandarin – This relaxed and mesmerizing scent mixes bright mandarin with tropical rum and pineapple, reminiscent of a pina colada. Although the coconut is missing from this cocktail, the creamy woody notes delightfully finish the fragrance.
- Generous Violet – A luscious blend of violet and orris combine to a luxurious effect. A alluring suede accord completes the composition, reminding me of an elegant handbag.
- Glamorous Magnolia – A truly addictive scent, it opens with a wallop of citrus zest, green leaves and freesia. The base of sandalwood, musk and decadent warm chocolate make for a happy ending.